Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help!!!! 450-24T

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnfv

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2002
US
When we moved to new location, out Telephone and Data company put in 2 of these units to act as hubs, why I don't know, they are really far more heavy duty than we need. After doing a little research on these, I see all the things that they can do, so I decided that I would try and do a little configuring. I looked through the manual and set up the device manager software. However these were not set up to begin with, so I knew that I would have to connect throught comm port. I set up HyperTerminal with the settings in the manual, and did as directed. Nothing. I get nothing on the screen and the system just goes through its boot up process. I've looked through the manuals and double checked settings several times. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Shawn

Nortel uses a straight through 9 pin to 9 pin connection while most vendors use a crossover 9 pin to 9 pin. a null modem adaptor may be needed. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Thank you, I will give that a try. I appreciate the help.

Shawn

Are you using a W2K box to launch hyperterm? The standard edition of hyperterm(Win2000) has caused me problems on the 450. If this is your scenario, try downloading Hyper Terminal Private edition 5. If you can see the boot process, chances are your console cable and Hyperterm are okay.

No I still can't see anything when it boots up. I downloaded the private edition of HyperTerminal, 6.3. I've tried using straight thru, and null modem cables to no effect. Just to make sure that I'm doing this right, I power off the switch, open up hyperterminal, plug the switch back in after about 30 seconds, and I get nothing in the hyperterminal window. Any further suggestions would be greatly welcomed.

Shawn

Hi Shawnfv,

(1) First up, HT is a dog, always has been. Find a good terminal emulation program and stick with it. I use either ZOC or PROCOMM.

(2) Remember your Baystack key-strokes. Always start with a CTRL-W (refresh screen) or CTRL-Y (start session).

(3) Emulation. As I've already said, HT is a dog. But if you must use it, you may find the cursor keys cause problems. If you select a field with a CK then try to enter values, only one character appears. So instead of using the CK, use the TAB key.

Hope this helps,
-Maj

Thanks for all the help everyone. I finally got it all figured out and am now able to get in and start setting it up.

Shawn

I'm also looking for help connecting my laptop to a Baystack 450-24T. I have all the settings per the manual, but all I get is a blinking underscore in Hyperterm. What are the settings I need to make, as far as comm speed, emulation, flow control, etc. I need all the settings

the factory defaults is 9600 8N1 use X-on/x-off

two tricks in hyperterm

rumor has it that the hyperterm in 2000 is defective

in NT, changes in the settings seem to take effect the NEXT time you start hyper term
I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I use Hyperterm 6.3 Private Edition.I have no problems.
We have 70+ ARNs,100+ Baystack 350/450s,1100/1200/8606/8610,
BLN/BCNs.

Configuration for Hyperterm: 9600,8,N,1.
Emulation: VT100,TERMINAL KEYS,BS key sends Ctrl+H Rick Harris
SC Dept of Public Safety-DMV
Network Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back