Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hello....want to give 70-431 exam 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

emperor2001in

Technical User
Oct 21, 2007
US
Hello,
I wanted to give 70-431 exam and i would really appreciate if you can give me some guidence on it.

I really want to go deep into the database career.
currently the company i am working with uses sql server 2000 and my engagement with databases is at a very moderate level or you can say entry level.

my knowledge level in database is between entry level and mid-level. can you tell me is it a smart move on my side to go for 7-431 exam and am i moving in the right direction for becoming a datbase guy.
please share you opinion and your guidence.

Thank you
Dave

exams mean nothing!

I interviewed people with 7(seven) certifications and they didn't have a clue
They studied for the exams (brain dump, test king etc etc)
However they had no real world experience and were very easy to weed out. the exams ar not true to real world scenarios

I would say get a good book and do all the examples and run all the code. You can study and take the exam but don't expect it to open any doors (well you might get an interview)

Denis The SQL Menace
--------------------
SQL Server Code,Tips and Tricks, Performance Tuning
SQLBlog.com, Google Interview Questions

Thank you for your advise Denis on this.

well can you give me names of some good books as you had mentioned above which will make my skills grow sharper.
and do you discourage taking exams like the 70-431 which i am trying to take..?

now as i said my level is between entry-level to mid-level,
what do you suggest, how should i go about working my way towards becoming a good database guy.

i appreciate your help with this.

Thank you
Dave

>>what do you suggest, how should i go about working my way towards becoming a good database guy.

read good books (ken henderson's guru series, Delaney's inside SQL Server series)
follow best practices
read sql server blogs
listen to SQL podcast, watch web casts and screen casts
play around with the recent CTPs
don't stop messing with the DB when you are at home, spend several hours a week at home playing with DB stuff which you can't do at work
help people in newsgroups and fora (this is very important, you will see what kind of problems other people run into and will remember how they got help) In the beginning you will mostly just read the responses of experts, as you become more confortable yourself you will start answering questions and becoming more proficient yourself

Denis The SQL Menace
--------------------
SQL Server Code,Tips and Tricks, Performance Tuning
SQLBlog.com, Google Interview Questions

I have to say that answering other people's questions was the absolute best way for me to really learn SQL. It took me into areas I was totally unfamiliar with, and gave me that "challenge" that sitting in front of a database at home and trying to figure out something to do just couldn't provide.

I am sorry Denis i could not thank you earlier. i was not in town. thanks for taking time and effort for answering my queries, i really appreciate it.

and yes my friend i will surely bother you next time i have some query....if thats fine with you.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back