Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hello people, I recently moved from an NT environment to Win98, doe

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBC

MIS
Aug 10, 1999
CA
Hello people,

I recently moved from an NT environment to Win98, does anyone know if there is a gui shutdown tool for Win98 like the one for NT from the resource kit.

John [sig][/sig]

in what way a GUI ShutDown Tool?
I mean a couple things you could probally look at is msconfig from the run prompt, or you could download tweakui, but I dont understand what you mean by a &quot;ShutDown&quot; tool. I mean you just click Start...ShutDown, and chose something on the list, and shut down your computer. [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

JBC,

Hi, if you are having probelms shutting down Win 98 you are not alone. There is a few patches I can provide you with, these may or may not work. If you want me to email them to you contact me at paul.ovey@avenue-legal.co.uk

You can also.

START / RUN

and type &quot;MSCONFIG&quot; without the quotes,

Select the startup tab, and uutick both load power profiles, and reboot.

If it still will nor shutdown, I have posted a FAQ in the this forum that will walk you through creating a shutdown shortcut.

Paul [sig][/sig]

Sorry folk,

I guess I should have been more specific, I am actually looking for a remote shutdown tool. There is one with NT resource kit that shuts down a workstation or server when you give the name, seconds to shutdown, a screen message, and you can also specify whether you would like it to kill all apps. Unfortunetly it does not work with Win98. Any ideas. [sig][/sig]

Well the NT and 98 system have a slightly different API when it comes down to the Windowsexce API, I can make a program that can forcefully shutdown 98, without asking to close anything, however I would also need to figure out how to get it to work remotely ( I wouldnt want to make it remote like internet wise, because people would be shutting you down if they had your IP ) [sig]<p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.com>kb244@kb244.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)<br>
[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back