Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hello linux, goodbye windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

linuxboy

Instructor
Nov 29, 2002
GB
im makin the change from Windows over to Linux in C++ programming. I currently use the DJGPP compiler, and I am wondering if that will work with Linux, or does it come with it. Im getting RedHat Linux 7.
Also, how would I write a GUI Hello World program in Linux. How to program in the X-Window system. Could someone point me towards some tutorials and examples. How different is programming in Windows to programming in Linux? Thanx

OK, first:

1. g++ comes with RHL 7 (if you install development tools), and is what djgpp emulates, so you're all set.

2. As far as X development, you've got lots of options, but I'd recomment either GTK+ or KDE, both of which you can find plenty of info on with your favorite search engine. RHL also comes with glade, which is a (sort of) ide for GNOME.

Good Luck!

Disclaimer:
Beware: Studies have shown that research causes cancer in lab rats.

To expand on the previous answer:
Your best bets for GUI programming in Linux are GTK+ and Qt (Qt is what KDE uses). If you prefer C++, there is a wrapper for GTK+ (which is all C) called GTK--. Both the GTK-- and Qt websites have tutorials for the toolkits. There is, I've discovered recently, an open source toolkit called wxWindows which apparently works with both Windows and GTK+, but I've not had a chance to look at it yet. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back