Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hello: i'm running visual foxpro 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldbohemia

Programmer
Jun 5, 2008
US
hello:
i'm running visual foxpro 8 on a windows 7 pro computer.

I have a project with multiple methods and command buttons, each its own program.

When I place the "set step on" command anywhere in the project, the code page dialog box pops up
and won't close, no matter how many times i select the code page.(1252)
i've been using visual foxpro 8 for years and never encountered this problem.

tried "set cpdialog off" within the methods and "codepage=auto" in config.fpw file.
can anyone point me in the right direction?
thanks in advance, folks.

No idea, but I cannot imagine this is specific about "set step on", but any edit, right?
Seems the PJX was started on a VFP in another codepage.

Since PRGs are just their text and have no other binary encoded start or end bytes (other than EOF character, if your settings make it so), the codepage infos about them should be in the PJX table. And, bingo, there is the cpid column in the PKX.

Cautious, changing it will not change source code and it likely breaks it. So when you change cpid to 1252 you also need to convert source text and overall it should be simpler to put VFP into the codepage of the project to be able to work on it or do an overall conversion, which likely fails on all the string literals not translating to other codepages if that's is a foreign language (supporiting greek, cyrilic, simplified chinese alphabets, whatever).

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf Doschke Software Engineering

The built-in way to change codepage is within proiject info files tab, where codepage info is displayed and a button "Update native codepages" allows to change codepages.
Help on that dialog says nothing about what else but cpid is changed, I assume the PRG or method source code is not converted.

You can start VFP itself in another codepage using the -C command-line option and specifying a config.fpw with CODEPAGE=x, but this is not respected if not supported by the OS, i.e. I end up with CPCURRENT(1)=1252 when specifying other codepages there. So codepage support is not merely a VFP topic, you can't use russian, east european and other codepages, if Windows doesn't have such codepage support.

The only other option I found is SET CPCOMPILE, which reminds me, that your problem might be related to the editor option to compile before saving and your cpcurrent(1) not matching the codepage info of the PRG.

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf Doschke Software Engineering

thank you much, Olaf.
the popup comes up on the exact line that i had "set step on" in the project.

i erased the foxuser table and that seemed to fix the problem.
can't imagine how "set step on" could trigger a code page dialog, but
its working now.
again, i appreciate your attention and time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back