Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hello, I have the following str

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruceleung2000

IS-IT--Management
Dec 20, 2003
HK
Hello,
I have the following strange scenario, I hope somebody help !!!
1) I tried to install removable disk (128MB mini-drive) and failed to recognise CD-ROM (it seems both cannot co-exist - I do NOT why) under Windows 98 Second Edition
2) I decided to choose CD-ROM rather than mini-drive, so I fallback
3) After I have installed CD-ROM driver (it worked before) - it shows (yellow exclaimation sign)
4) I tried to re-install some other drivers (Mitsumi, panasonic and sony) and IRQ (from 02 to 09 since it was STOP sign for 02) - it still fails
5) I can read CD (with software on it) on the same CD drive (drive F:) when I use bootable windows 95 FLOPPY diskette (see below :
autoexec.bat :::
mscdex /d:cdrom /L:f /v
config.sys :::
device=usdide.sys /d:cdrom
device=himem.sys
lastdrive=z
)
6) Since it can from booting up floppy OS, so I copy the contents of autoexec.bat and config.sys to those on drive C (hard drive), it still CANNOT recognise the CD drive from windows 98 on drive C.
7) Canyone help me to fix the CD-ROM driver problem???

regards,
BL

Start in Safe mode, remove all drives except the HD and FD from Device Manager, restart normally, let Windows recognize the CD-ROM drive, and reinstall its drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back