Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hello I have one 3com switch 38

Status
Not open for further replies.

kse

IS-IT--Management
Apr 19, 2002
KW
Hello

I have one 3com switch 3812 12 port 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet switching as a backbone, and seven (7) 3com switchs 4226T Built-in Gigabit ports used as uplinks, I want to creat vLAN, can I creat he vLAN's in the backbone switch only and connect the other switches to it if so how? if not how can I creat a vLAN between the 7 switches and the backbone?

Thanks for your help

I will assume you know how to define a VLAN on each of the switches. Create the same VLAN on each switch. The trick is to select the uplink port on each 4226T as a member of the VLAN. You will want to select it as an "untagged" port for the VLAN. This will allow that uplink port to carry multiple VLAN traffic back to the backbone switch. For example, if you had two VLANS, each would have an entry for the uplink port as a untagged port for that VLAN.
Then, configure the backbone switch to accept multiple VLAN traffic on each port coming from the 4226Ts. (Add the ports coming from the 4226Ts to each VLAN as untagged ports)

FYI, if you wanted a particular port to only carry traffic for a particular VLAN, you would add that port to the VLAN as a "Tagged" port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back