Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hello, I have an Access database in

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavery

Technical User
Oct 29, 2002
US
Hello, I have an Access database in which upon logging in I have a pic (jpeg)displayed, this pic also changes to a new pic upon a user selecting a different model/picture. This pic is an OLE object that is converted from photo to picture to help reduce size of database.

Is there an easier (but fast) way to reference the jpeg file directly? Besides having the pictures included in my database, which does increase the size as you can imagine. Currently I link the tblModelPics to a folder, but its much slower but reduces size.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Clark

~Clark

You've listed the best two ways: keeping the filename and the OLE image storage. I'm partial to filename linking myself.

Really though, it can't be that slow to get the filename from the database and then access the file. It's either link to a 27kB jpeg file in a (local?) folder (on your hard drive?/on a network drive?) versus grabbing one full MB of data from your Access database because OLE image storage takes a lot of room. If your database will be growing, you will have to start linking to files as your database will max out at 1GB, which will be at about...1000 pictures (give or take, depends on image size itself)?

If you're desperate to have your image file stored in the database but don't want the size ballooning of image BLOB storage, then you *CAN* consider adding the binary contents of your JPEG file to an OLE field. This of course, takes more programming and is not as Access-friendly as OLE-stored images (I don't know the proper terminology for referring to OLE/BLOB fields, work with me). You can't just link to the image in the OLE field if it is stored this way; you will have to extract it from the field and into a temp file in order to view it. In all it is a bad solution--but you were looking for more options, so there it is.

--
Find common answers using Google Groups:

Corrupt MDBs FAQ

Have a look at thread702-289543 I found it very helpful

Hope this helps
Hymn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back