Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hello I am running a domain con

Status
Not open for further replies.

axilleas

Technical User
Jan 26, 2003
GR
Hello

I am running a domain controller Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 . After a scheduled reboot i tried to log on with the domain admin account.I logged but in a second blue screen appeared.The blue screen ended up with physical memory dump. I tried with a second domain account with the same result . I know that this message indicates hardware failure.However I put hard disks in another server (same model) and still I have the same issue.
When I boot in safe mode networking is ok.I can login normally.
I made a check for c partition errors without findings.

Could someone give me an idea and help me for that ?
Any recommendation will be appreciated...

Achilleas

What is the BSOD error for? If the bsod doesnt last long enough, you will have to look at the memory dump and figure out what its complaining about.

BSOD doesnt 100% mean hardware error. The fact that you can log on in safe mode leads me to believe it could be a messed up windows update or some kind of software error.
Your core system files seem to be intact, hence why you can login normally in safemode. The issue will be in the differences between safe mode with networking vs normal boot

Also, in safe mode, open up a cmd window and type in sfc /scannow

That command will force the server to verify system files and attempt to repair them automatically. It is possible that some files are corrupted beyond believe and you will have to manually repair them but the sfc program will let you know and you will be able to check the logs.

Thank you for your answer .
I did sfc /scannow in safe mode but I get ' Windows file protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files. The specific error code is 0x000006a (The RPC server is unavailale.

BSOD lasts for about two minutes .counts physical dump memory

Do you have the Hard Drives back in the original server? What, if any, hardware tests have you performed to believe this is a hardware error? You can test the RAM and HDD with a variety of tools including the Ultimate Boot CD using Memtest and Vivard. Have you performed a chkdsk /r via the command prompt? Did you install any hardware, software or updates before you started getting the BSOD?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back