Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hello, I am baffled but what els

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyboy

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
US
Hello,

I am baffled but what else is new?

Last night I left the house with my Dell Studio 1500 running Win7. When I came home it had shutdown. The cause was obvious since the power supply plug had shifted out part way. First question is there a way to tighten this plug up to prevent this from happening again?

When I restarted the computer I received a black screen saying that 'One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency.' So I let CHKDSK run. Nothing seemed to be out of normal. After doing some work just for my piece of mind I set up CHKDSK to run on next restart. Then shutdown and restarted and let CHKDSK run over night. When I got up this morning, my laptop was ready for me to sign on. It took a while, much longer than normal for Outlook 2007 and Firefox 65 to load.

Later in the day I received a message that Windows had some updates that needed to be installed. So I did that. It required a reboot to complete the install. So I did that.

But upon the reboot, The black screen and disk message was back. I let CHKDSK run once again, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

So my second question is am I seeing a HD that is going bad or what should I be doing to let me boot up without having the CHKDSK message show up?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Ray

Probably your HD is getting wrong and maybe it does not take too long and your PC will be unable to start. So, if you didn't make backup of your work on the HDD, then make it now.

And have you seen CHKDSK's output, what did CHKDSK found ?
If not, open command line (with run as administrator) run again
CHKDSK C: /F
and look at the output.

Find out what brand of hard drive it is either from the BIOS or cracking the machine open. Download the Ultimate Boot CD image file and then create a CD from the image file. Boot from the CD and run the manufacturer's hard drive diagnostic tool for your brand of hard drive. Better do it quickly to see what's going. I would get a backup of all important data NOW. Don't wait.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back