Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hello everyone, I am installing NW cluster services 1.01 for two NW

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBC

MIS
Aug 10, 1999
CA
Hello everyone,

I am installing NW cluster services 1.01 for two NW5.1 servers. The problem I have is that all the documentation by Novell, online and offline, is so unspecific that I don't know how to set up the raids I have in a storage unit in between. I don't know whether they should be formatted or not. Right now when I list devices, the SCSI controller is seen by both servers. The documentation says that my goal should be a NSS volume mounted by one and seen by the other, but it doesn't say how to get there. Can anyone please shed light on the topic.

John [sig][/sig]

I have installed NW5 Cluster with network attached storage. You have to create NSS volumes using the NWConfig utility. Once these are created, you must use Console1 to create the virtual volume objects inside the cluster server object.

In regards to the raid configuration, we set it up at the hardware level. That is, using the raid configuration utlility that came with our Dell servers.

Once you have created the virtual volume objects in Console1, you can set the properties as to which server should mount the volume by default, whether or not the volume should fail over automatically, and also the failback mode once the original server is back online.

I agree with you that Novell's documentation is pretty vague in regards to this. We had a lot of trial and error when we were installing our system. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back