Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hello all. Recently I was THROWN i

Status
Not open for further replies.

compuser

Technical User
Jun 22, 2001
US
Hello all.
Recently I was THROWN into the lead service technician role (Actually I am the only tech) with very LITTLE experience. I have found MANY answers to a good many issues I was not normally able to fix here on tek tips. But my problem is I am getting over whelmed and burnt out. The pay is ok. The job is good. I know I wont be able to get much anywhere else. I am not certified and only been FOOLING with computers for less than 2 years. Any advice from all the experienced techs out there? Also what are some good books on computers. NOT study guides, I am looking for like troubleshooting books.

Upgrading and repairing pcs by scott mueller. This is the bible. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I would suggest just hanging in there. Working on PC's, especially if you are the only tech can take a lot out of you. Stay, get the experience and get certified. Start with A+, then go with what you know. Good luck. James Collins
Systems Support Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

SIgn up for as many Technical forums as you can with several different sites. This is one of the best for immediate answers.
Do not stop reading for the next couple of years and become the best you can. It will pay off int he long run.
Since you are not certified then you will simply have to go with the knowledge you have and consider this your schooling. I find many books published by QUE on repair upgrading and Operating SYSTEMS are very helpful.
They are free if you read them in the book store.

heheheh cheap way through it.
Good luck and hang in there.
Chudman

As far as books are concerned, think of the sorts of problems you have had, and browse a good computer bookstore to see which books answer the questions in a way that you can relate to. Then check out other books in the series or by the same author, not a scientific way, but you do come across other areas you may need to be interested in, in the future.

Whilst you are checking out tech sites, download as many pages as seem interesting/relevent and keep/print them for the future. It's real annoying to know you saw the answer 'somewhere' on the internet without knowing where!

Finally, there will be days when you hate computers more than anything else, we've all been there. Just keep in touch, particularly if you're the only tech you know.

mess em up and fix em.

over and over. and do what the other say above.

eventually you will find that you know more than you thought you did and can figure other things out. the only drawback you seem to have is sometimes another tech to
bounce things off of is really a help. voila tech-tips and similar forums.

good luck.

x-> x->

compuser -

One of the best things you have right now is your HANDS ON experience. Books are excellent tools, but your personal experience(s) will come to your aid in the future. Trust me!

Remember to document your trouble-shooting successes. A lot of "us" forget this in the beginning. They work so long on something, they figure "I will NEVER forget this fix. . . " well, if you don't see the same problem for another 7 months, even the best geeks in the biz can forget certain steps they've taken for problem resolution.

Certifications are great! If you work with PC's a lot, A+ certification may be a great stepping stone. If you work with a lot of end users, Win98/Win2K (MCP) may be another certification to consider.

Also, when you decide to look for specific books, try bookpool.com - I recently was turned onto them by a peer. They carry only technical books - and are usually a lot cheaper than other online resources.

Good Luck - Hang In There!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back