Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HEELLLP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmarch1

MIS
Apr 5, 2001
US
these are my steps:
I have a PDC of NT 4.0 and then two other Windows 2000 servers on that domain.
I created a new NT server as the BDC and then promoted it to PDC. (all went fine)
I installed Win200 server on the PDC and once the installation was over and now the Active Directory wizard is running...I have problems.

I chose the option to create a child domain from an existing Domain and put the user name, password, and Domain and I get an error that the Domain isn't an Active Directory domain or the Active Directory controller isn't in the domain.
If I create a new Domain and give the DNS name will I get a prompt to see my previous Domain?
If I look in to the properties of "My Computer" I see the Computer name and the Domain name with the "properties" button greyed out and the statement that it is a primary domain controller and complete the ADS installation.
I got scared (of course first time) and tried to restore my now BDC to PDC but it also (NT 4.0) doesn't see the Domain although I can connect to all databases and web services on the other Win2000 Servers.
I just really need tips to put the right information in the ADS installation so it will complete and see the Domain.

cmarch1,
it seems u r trying to make a child domain of an existing NT PC which is not possible.

For creating child domains u must have a forest root domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back