Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HEELLLLP....!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chavito21

Programmer
Mar 26, 2003
US
Hi everyone,

I have a Windows 2000 server. And a big problem. I had to reboot the server yesterday and since then I get stuck when I sign in actually it ask me to sign in and then it just take me back to the mesg that said that I need to CTRL-ALT_DEL and then the sign in menu shows again.. today i get a mesg that said:
WINS could not start due to a missing or currupt database, restore the database using Wins manager (or windscl.exe) found in the windows 2000 Resource kit and restart WINS.

Where I can get this Windows 2000 resource kit? and why is this happening?

Thanks any comments suggestions would be appreciated. I am just a programmer that is trying to get this problem solve.

Again thanks
JAC

The resource kit is available from several book stores (online or not). You may have to run the jetpack restore utilities. The event log is probably your best resource to determine what is actually wrong. Then you can either post here, or do some self study/searching at support.microsoft.com/support go to the knowledge base.

Not sure why when you login you get kicked back to the ctrl Alt del screen... Virus maybe?

Tpulley,

Is the Jetpack restore utilities on windows 2k server? How cn I get into the event log if I can't sign in to my server?

Thanks
JAC

Have you considered the possibility you have a destructive virus eating away your system files? If you can't even boot to safe mode and log in, you may need to boot from the CD and use the recovery console.

I found this on microsoft site:

Err Msg: WINS Could Not Come Up Due to Missing/Corrupt...
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server

This article was previously published under Q225346
SYMPTOMS
When you start your Windows 2000 Server-based computer running the Windows Internet Name Service (WINS), you may receive the following error message:

WINS could not come up due to missing/corrupt database. Restore the database using WINS Manager or winscl.exe (in the res kit) and then restart WINS. If WINS still does not come up, start with a fresh copy of the database. To do this:

1) Delete all the files in the %SystemRoot%\system32\wins directory Note: if wins database file (typically named wins.mdb) is not in the above directory, check the registry for the full filepath. Delete the .mdb file.

Note: If jet*.log are not in the above directory, check the registry for the directory path. Delete all log files.

2) Net start wins

Please click on OK to terminate WINS.

Also, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:

Events may have been registered in the Event Viewer. To view these errors:

Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Event Viewer.
View the Source column to locate the following event ID numbers:

EVENT ID 4318
Source: WINS

NOTE: The description area error message matches the error message listed earlier in this article.
One or more of the following events may be listed in the System log:

Event ID 4224
Source: WINS
WINS encountered a database error. This may or may not be a serious error. WINS will try to recover from it. You can check the database error events under 'Application Log' category of event viewer for the eseXX source to find out more details about database errors. If you continue to see a large number of these errors consistently over time (a span of few hours), you may want to restore the database from a backup. The error number is in the second DWORD of the data section below.

Event id 7023
Source: Service Control Manager
The Windows Internet Name Service terminated with the following error: %%3758096385
One or more of the following application events may be listed in Event Viewer and the Application log file:

Event ID 100
Source: ESENT
Category: General
wins (596) The database engine 6.00.3801.0007 started.

Event ID 300
Category: Logging/Recovery
wins (596) The database engine is initiating recovery steps.

Event ID 301
wins (596) The database engine is replaying log file C:\Winnt\system32\wins\j50.log.

Event ID 302
wins (596) The database engine has completed recovery steps.
When you try to start WINS, you may receive the following error message:

Could not start the Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) on the Local Computer. Error 3758096385
CAUSE
This behavior can occur if the WINS database is damaged or is missing from the %SystemRoot%\system32\wins folder.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, replace the WINS database by moving or backing up all of the files in the %systemroot%\system32\wins folder to a new location:

In WINS Manager, stop replication partners.
Create backup copies of the files in the %systemroot%\system32\wins folder, or delete these files.
In Computer Manager, restart WINS:

Click Start, point to Programs, point to Administrative Tools, and then click Computer Management.
Double-click the System Tools branch to expand it.
Click Services in the Container (left) pane to display the computer services in the Objects (right) pane.
Right-click Windows Internet Name Service in the right pane, and then click Start.

NOTE: You must reregister the other server's and computer's services in the environment in the WINS database. To do so, restart the appropriate computers, or reregister their services. For information about how to do so, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
137423 How to Reregister Services in WINS

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
MORE INFORMATION
Windows 2000 uses the same Event ID numbers as Microsoft Windows NT version 4.0 to indicate that a WINS database is not running due to a missing or damaged Wins.mdb file.

But How can i get back to the server to do waht they are telling me..! is it a back door?

Have you solve your problem yet ?!

If not, take out the HDD and connect it to another computer as slave HDD and that computer should running OS Win2K or WinXP with NTFS then scan this HDD for virus after that use Win Tool of Error-checking to correct the corrupt to those files structure then will solve your problem I guess.

Deanhsiao

I still have this problem I will try to take the Hdd and do what you are saying this weekend. I will post the result.

Thanks

Can't you go to a remote machine and try to look up the event viewer remotely? If that works see if you can browse it maybe even use mmc's and TS to get in to the system. Although it a good guess, I'd try and look at the entire event viewer logs using another machine first to ensure that the info you get from the MS site is correct. Steve Hewitt
Systems Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back