Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heat Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishguy

Technical User
Jun 11, 2003
CA
Hey Everyone,

I have an Athlon XP 2500+(barton) and it seems to me to be running awfully hot. It idles at about 55-60C and at full load it hits about 70C. I have heard that the Athlon XP runs fairly hot, but should I be concerned?

My system has the following:
3 - 2000rpm case fans(2 front, 1 rear)
2 - PSU fans
1 - Stock AMD CPU heatsink

My system temperature usually sits around 40C.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

-----------------------
Fishguy

How does it run with the case off? That is too hot. How long has it been running this way? Is the heatsink on the right way? What do you have between the CPU and heatsink? Respond quickly, the longer it runs hot - the sooner it doesn't run at all!

Yes and no, I have the same CPU and if you plan on o/c it, it will become a concern. The CPU is rated for 85C, but I definitly recommend investing in thermal compound or another HSF.

The Thermal pad that come with AMD Stock HS, simply doesn't work compared to high quality paste. I used to have temperatures similar to yours...I bought some OCZ Premium Silver compound, removed the pad (be very careful not to scratch the HS) and applied paste...temperature dropped in the 40's.

Since I've bought a Vantec Aeroflow rated for 5400RPM (I run mine at 3000RPM) and overclocked to 3200+ (2205Mhz) and my temp right now is 53 and it's warm in here...I usually idle in the mid 40's.

Just read that your sys. temperature is around 40C that is quite high depending on where you live and the ambiant temperature. Try to arrange your cable nicely in the case, I use tie wraps to hold as many as I can together...then I tape them with ducktape but there are many commercial (more fancy) solutions.

Anyway, see if your fans are blowing properly and if their intake/outake aren't covered by too many cables/dust. How are your case fans set up (intake/outake)

Thanks guys,
I never did find the cause of the problem, but I suspect that it has to do with improper application of the thermal paste. I have just today gone out and bought a new heatsink, a Thermaltake Volcano 9 and I am going to install it when I have the time. I also have some quality thermal paste at home(darned if I can remember what brand, arctic silver i think). Anyway, I will post the temperatures after i install the new heat sink and get everything set up. The system temp, I believe is due to the high CPU temperature, so hopefully this new heatsink will fix the problems I've been having.

Thanks again.

-----------------------
Fishguy

Hey guys,

I installed my new heatsink, and boy oh boy is it ever loud...it's go a freakin' case fan on top. Anyway, the system temperature has settled around 45C and I will tinker a little further with the fan speed to find a suitable noise level, but thanks again for the suggestions. BTW, the system temp is now about 25C. Huge difference in both.

Thanks again.

-----------------------
Fishguy

micker377,

It is, but presently I have simply reduced the speed of the fan from 5000rpm to near 4000rpm, it runs much quieter and now my system idles somewhere between 45 and 50 and full load it runs no hotter than 53. So far, so good. I think I am going to invest in a more powerful exhaust fan as well.

-----------------------
Fishguy

I use the Volcano 8, and the "auto" sensor under the CPU is tricky to put in, but you can't even hear the fan at normal heat range. Right now, room temp is 77 deg (f), and CPU is 40 deg (c).

Just as a side note*
Anyone thinking about Athlon 64!!
Cool and quiet technology is the business.
Just built myself a new machine: Athlon 64 3500 socket 939
MSI K8 Neo2 platinum, LianLi V1000, coolermaster Hyper6 (massive copper heatpipe tower cooler)
Activate Cool and quiet and the noise level drops to barely nothing, increasing when gaming or working hard.
It also has the benefit of lowering power consuption.
A very clever and practical feature of A64 mainboards.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back