Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heartbeats / keepalives related problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammyd56

Technical User
Aug 23, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have recently got ntl broadband, and it worked fine... until i added a router. Now I get kicked off online game servers at regular intervals and my downloads keep cutting out as well.

I am told that this is because 'heartbeats' are not being responded to. I guess that the router must be blocking them.

How can I stop this?

My ISP (NTL) have refused to help me on this matter, so I need some help please.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

I'd suggest that you need to update the firmware of your router, actually. These are usually relatively easy to do; just download the latest from the manufacturer's site. Also, post the brand and model number and maybe someone has specific experience.

Thanks for the quick response guys.

I am using an Actiontec 1-port Wireless Cable/DSL Router (R3010UW).

I have tried upgrading the firmware before but when I install it, it says you should not install if the router is connected to your computer by USB. Since this is the only option I have because I don't have an ethernet port in my computer I'm pretty much screwed.

Any suggestions?

Do you think the non-USB thing is just a precaution or will it actually not work?

My guess is that it does not want the INSTALL done through USB.

Take the router to a mate's house with an ethernet port and upgrade the router. Or add an ethernet port, they are not very expensive.

Thanks for the advice i'll get an NIC today and tell you how it goes.

Thanks a lot for your advice guys, I've upgraded the firmware using a friends computer and it seems to be working fine now.

Thanks again,

Sam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back