Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Headset button not staying active on 7942 deskphone 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gem257

Programmer
Jun 9, 2009
US
Hi,

I hope I'm posting this question in the right place. I have a user with a 7942 deskphone and we just installed a Plantronics wireless headset (CS540) with a lifter attachment. Everything works like a charm EXCEPT when the end user presses the silver button on the headset piece to answer a call/engage lifter, the headset button on the 7942 goes off and there is only one way speech path. How do I keep the headset button on the phone lit up to ensure a two way speech path?

I've already tried wiring the headset through the handset port (I recall that working on other vendor phones) and checked the few headset settings available in the phone itself. Thank you, everyone!

You should be able to use the headset, using the headset jack, without the lifter. Make sure in the phone you have Wideband Headset UI Control and Wideband Headset set to enabled and Wireless Headset Hookswitch Control disabled(down towards the bottom of the configuration on the right) After that, it should be just pressing the headset button to make it work.

However, if you are trying to answer calls remotely I believe you will need an adapter cable that plugs in between your headset and the phone, again, this does not need the lifter, it just activates the headset button from the headset itself. You will have to talk to your vendor on pat numbers.

I concur with tvlr1. The Plantronics APC-41 accessory cable is the cat's pajamas for doing away with those hideous and often trouble-prone mechanical handset lifters. Be sure to go into the phone config on the call manager and enable the Wireless Headset Hookswitch Control, then reset the phone.

As an aside, I have seen end users who have their std. handset cord all knotted-up such that just bumping it (the cord) will cause the handset to bounce on the hookswitch and drop the call (also resulting in the headset light being turned off) Also some users like to place a prop under their phone to tilt it even more forward, such that the handset is precariously sitting on the hookswitch. In these cases I reverse the clip near the hookswitch so that it hangs-on to the handset, i.e., like you would do for a wall mount.

Original MUG/NAMU Charter Member

when your headset have lifer device , you should connect to handset port only , because the lifter function is replace you handset to pick up call.

Wilsontec is correct, which, (IMO) is another very good reason not to use that dang clunky HL-10 apparatus velcro'd onto the side of the phone. Over time they become a support liability. Why kludge something onto the phone when Cisco has gone to the trouble to include the electronic hookswitch feature in the design of these phones and you have purchased them, perhaps not knowing that this way-cool compatibility was included.

I'm unsure what other headset manufacturers support this (electronic hookswitch) feature, but both Plantronics and Jabra Pro and Jabra Go models from GN-Netcom do. We have also communicated to our 2500+ users to please not purchase the CS540/HL-10 bundle and instead opt for the CS54- separately and get the APC-41 adapter cable option. They just plain work!

The only issue I've had with Plantronics headsets & the APC-41 is on those phones (such as the 7965 and 7975) where we have installed one or two expansion modules (sidecars). Here the issue is that the standard APC-41 adapter cable is too short. Plantronics supposedly makes an optional cable to adapt to the sidecar-equipped phones, but I'm unfamiliar with that part number.

Original MUG/NAMU Charter Member

I dont know the part number either, but have used a couple of the extended cables and there is no issues with them either, hassle free operation and, as Mitel states far less maintenance worries.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, I've been off the grid a few days, not ignoring anyone I promise. We actually found that wiring the headset base through the handset port and ignoring the headset button on the phone seems to work fine. So long as the end user remembers to hang up the call by tapping the earpiece button so the lifter will put the handset back down!

And I aprreciate the advice on the other part numbers. I will make note of those for future reference as these headset/lifter setups can be tricky with different vendor phones I encounter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back