Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heads up! New Microsoft certifications announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmcferrin

MIS
Jul 14, 2003
US
There is now a Microsoft Certified Master certification level. This slots in above the Profesisonal level and below the Architect level. The certification ladder now looks like this:

MCTS --> MCITP --> Microsoft Certified Master --> Microsoft Certified Architect

There are versions of this certification for Exchange 2007, SQL 2008, and Windows 2008. The requirements vary per specialty, but generally you have to have completed the professional level certification, then you have to take instructor led classes with labs and exams. From what I hear it's a 3-week course. The details are here:

I saw something about this earlier today as well. MS have a couple of webcasts abaout this in July.

Paul
MCSE 2003
MCTS:Active Directory
MCTS:Network Infrastructure
MCTS:Applications Infrastructure

If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?
Scott Adams

Looks interesting. Will make a nice feather in a few caps.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Yeah, now I have to figure out how to get my boss to change gears and postpone some of the other certs that he wants me to get until I get the Master cert. I guess the big question for me is going to be how valuable it is. I doubt that a lot of people will get their MCSE/MCITP, then pay for a three-week course on top of that to get yet another cert when MCITP or MCSE might be all that's needed (or even overkill).

The other concern is what it's going to cost. At most IT training centers a week long class runs about $3000. Does that mean this class will be $9000? It reminds me a bit of the VMWare Certified Professional cert in that you cannot get it unless you take the class. Some VMWare-center engineers I know say that it's mostly a money-grab on the part of VMWare. Hopefully that's not the case here.

But I can't help think about that. The Microsoft Certified Architect certification has a $10,000 testing fee associated with it. I wonder if they weren't getting the uptake on the MCA that they wanted, so they're offerring some classroom learning for that money now?

And then I wonder who's going to offer the classes. It's bad enough now that we have shady companies advertising $8000 MCSE boot camps out there. But will they now be saying that you need to pay $15,000 and take 6 weeks, but you come out a Microsoft Certified Master too?

It sounds like the training courses are going to be via MPS which effectively means it will just use credits off your contract. Sounds pretty easy if its just level 300-400 stuff.

I hope they make a background check on candidates experience or its just going to be another meaningless piece of paper. The Architect level wasn't a bad idea but having to be in the states killed it.

Anyone able to confirm this?

GREAT!
I'm just over a year into my course and they start adding on extra nuts and bolts.
I take it these courses are not mandatory requirements for the MCSE/MCSA, I've got enough in my head already.
KMCFERRIN thats why I spell it Micro$oft.

Working towards my MCSE/A and CompTIA. Any help greatly appreciated.

I take it these courses are not mandatory requirements for the MCSE/MCSA, I've got enough in my head already.

No, they're for the new Master level cert. Since it's on Windows 2008 and MCSE/MCSA are for 2000/2003, there's no overlap.

Ugh...just got the official word on these classes. The total cost is $18,500 for the three weeks of training, the three written tests, and the lab test, and none of it is optional.

Also, for the first year or so the classes will only be available at the Microsoft campus in Redmond, so unless you live in the Seattle area plan on travel expenses. I started doing the math and by the time that my company includes the lost revenue for me not billing for three weeks, plus the $18,500 for the training, plus travel and lodging, you're looking at almost $40,000 for this cert. What a joke!

Kind of a shame it's going down the "what you can afford" route rather than "what you know". I've been hoping for a while they'd stick something in between the MCSE and Architect cert but given those costs and the fact I'm in the UK there's no chance my company (or me) is paying for that.

Well, on the bright side they said that next year they'll start offering the classes worldwide. So all you have to do is find someone with a boatload of cash to sponsor you.

Call me crazy, but there's no Microsoft certification that's worth that much money.

Yeah, sounds like another cert (along with the MCA) that is for people who work for big companies who can afford to loose an employee for several weeks. What about those of us at small companies who wouldn't have any problem passing the tests but can't expense $20k?

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

Simple, get the MCITP cert and re-cert on that level. To be honest I don't see how useful the MCA cert would benefit an individual not alone a company.

the folks who get MCA are usually sales techs working for gold-certified ms partners... not useful for those of us with a 9-5 job...

JTB
Have Certs, Will Travel
"A knight without armour in a [cyber] land."

???

Considering that there are only 185 MCAs in the world (and that's counting all disciplines), I seriously doubt that anyone with an MCA is working as a tech of any sort, anywhere.

Most of the MCA's are internal microsoft staff or trainers.

There are very few outside M$ and those are all with the very large system intergration partners.

The couple i know that aren't M$ staff are all on salaries over 250k

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back