Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hdiskpower reserve_lock/reserve_policy parameter

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoreFeo

Technical User
Nov 29, 2002
ES
Hi,

We are in the process of migrating a client's AIX servers, from CLARiiON to Symmetrix VMax.
An EMC engineer came to "help" us with the migration, but I've seen something strange.

On a HACMP cluster he didn't change the reserve_policy parameter on the hdiskpower devices, before using them in the first node (extendvg on these new disks and migrating using mirror/unmirror).
When we tried to do an importvg -L on the other node it couldn't read the new hdiskpower devices, so we had to shutdown the application and the resource group so the second node could read the PVIDs and make the changes on the VG.
I told the EMC guy about the reserve_policy parameter, but he hasn't heard about it.

I think next cluster I will migrate it on my own, but there is one thing I wanted to know before.

Do I need to change the reserve_policy parameter only on the hdiskpower devices, or do I have to change it also on the underlying hdisks devices?

By the way, I thought that in EMC Symmetrix hdiskpower devices the parameter was reserve_lock and should be changed to no, instead of reserve_policy=no_reserve, but doing a lsattr I've seen it's called reserve_policy on our servers.
Anybody has seen the reserve_policy parameter on EMC disks?

Thanks.

As far as I've read I think I only need to change the reserve_policy in the hdiskpower device.

Also, about the difference from reserve_policy and reserve_lock: it seems that with EMC Symmetrix and CLARiiON there are two possible configurations: standard and powerpath devices (reserve_lock attribute) and MPIO configurations (reserve_policy attribute). At least this is what I've understood reading an old EMC Host Connectivity Guide for AIX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back