Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HDD Not booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

deka

Technical User
Mar 18, 2001
AU
After M/B & bios & cpu upgrade I can not boot from The HDD.
Drive is detected by the bios but won't boot to dos.
I have tried another drive,...same problem. If I boot from flopy I can read and write to the drives.
I've done Fdisk shows OK , done /mbr & Scandisk & sys c:
tested drives in other mashine they boot OK.
Disabled internal controller and replaced with external
no change.
Asus p55t2p4 ,k6 2 400 ,48mb fp ram, 4mb S3 video

Stupid question. I assume that boot device HDD is selected in the bios.

Also, sometimes when you install a new mobo from under windows nose it dosn't like it.
can you get into the hard drive at all.
if so try deleating the HDD drivers in device manager and rebooting.
if you cant access the HDD at all you will have to install it to your mobo using the driver disk that came with the mobo. this will however delete all info on the hard drive, as the install prog will proberbly re format and partition the hDD.
if you have a large HDD (over 2 gig) you may only lose some of the info on it. it depende on how your old mobo set up the HDD originally.

hope this helps

Yes bios detects HDD correctly.
Not able to boot into HDD but can read/write to it if booted from Fdd.
I do not have driver disks for M/B (2nd/h mobo)

Seen this happen before. 2 options.

First, you can try running Norton Disk Doctor on it. Chances aren't good though.

More than likely your best bet will be to completely repartition then reformat. Likely the cause was your drive was not correctly setup previously - it was slightly off. Now that you've changed bios, it's being setup correctly, but without knowing how it was setup before, it's hard or impossible to restore it. This can happen regardless of the opsys. Frustrating, but at least the drive isn't bad.

Have found that there are subtle timing differences between controllers and drives set up with different controllers. Resolution has always been to delete the partition then reinstall the partition and operating system. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Yikes...I would not jump to repartitioning the HDD without trying to simply reinstall the OS...what do you have??? Win98...Win95. If you can read your HDD when you boot from a floppy then just run the setup if you have the OS cab files on the HDD. Usually under C:\Windows\Options\Cabs...if the machine is not custom built. If it is custom built search for *.cab...this will turn up the location for windows cab files if they are there. If not just boot with a win98 flopply and use the cd-rom. If this works you should not have to reinstall any applications that you had working...everything should be almost back to normal (except screen saver and power management).

Let me know what happens...

Alex

deka,

visit the web site of the mobo, usually the drivers you will need are available as a free download. the make and modle of the mobo will be written on it some where. mine are on a white lable stuck tp the isa/pci slot that is closest to edge of the board.

hope this helps

Please stop all help !!!!! Problem solved !!!!!
The message I was getting was
DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT BOOT DISK TO CONTINUE

All I did was ...I loaded the default bios settings ..

Thaks for all sugestions
Deka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back