Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HDD issue -error scan shows different results

Status
Not open for further replies.

v.raj

Technical User
Mar 9, 2021
IN
Have an HDD (NTFS) with two partitions D and E.
Partition D was showing some issue.
So first, it was checked with
SeaTools.
Result:
SMART - Pass
Short Drive Self Test DST - Fail
Short Generic - Pass
Long Generic - Fail
Then:
Windows, Tools scan : No errors found
Then:
EASUS Partition Manager : No errors
Then:
Minitool Partition : NO errors, (see attachment)

Can I get advice on what exactly could be the issue considering the SeaTools DST fail and Long Generic Failure.
thanks.
p.s. am a user with not much technical knowledge.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f299df82-22c2-4bde-83b9-32c11b6b7eac&file=Screenshot_(134).jpg
It IS strange that you are getting different results with different tools, but............
I would trust the manufacturer's tool and stop using that drive to be conservative if you don't to put your data at risk. I mean hard drives aren't too expensive so why take a chance.

One more thing to try. Download the Ultimate Boot CD and run the Seatools from a bootable CD instead from within Windows if that's how you did it. There are other tools on there also to check the HDD.

thanks but would like to get some idea as to why four different tools are showing different results, three of which show no errors.
unable to use bootable CD for seatools. but need to know significance of DST, short generic and long generic.

the attachment which I sent does not seem to work. so here it is again. hope it can be seen. as you can see there are no bad sectors.
Screenshot_134_filbvf.jpg

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back