Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HDD destroys power supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

hw45

Technical User
Oct 5, 2002
CA
Got a computer with a fried power supply. So I thought it's from a power surge. But as I did backup on a different computer with that HDD (I replaced it, because it was already very weak) same smell came out of that power supply (hope it didn't affect it too much, it's a good expensive Enermax).
By the way it's a Quantum Fireball CR 8GB.
Just wondering if anybody else had already that same problem?

See my sept 4 comment in thread602-646756.

A tech at the computer store that had some electronics skill too replaced somekind of little part on the harddrive that enabled them to get it back up and running and get my data off. My theory, unproved and unprovable because the video was bad too, has been that the bad circuitry on the hard drive was what cooked the second power supply I put in.

I believe my bad drive was a quantum of around the size you mention but dont know for sure. I may be able to find out this weekend if it's important to you.

Thank you very much dioneses10 for your answer. And yes if possible I would like to know if it was a quantum.

Ok-found the drives-sorry I couldnt be more specific earlier.

I was wrong-the quantum drive i was remembering was one I was using for backups while trying to deal with a crashed operating system situation.

The bad drive in the bad power supply machine was a western digital caviar wd14300 4.3 gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back