Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HDD BACKUP - HOW TO SAVE GHOST IMAGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallyhag

Technical User
Mar 31, 2001
GB
I have the ability to back up my HDD with Nortons Ghost, which I have found to be a great and very useful program.

However when I have backed up a partion on my HDD I am left with an image file of about 1.5GB.

The thing I need to know is, being a recent PC CRASH sufferer, how do you back up the image file without forking out for a new HDD to act as a spare? Is there software available to burn this large file to a CD? I have access to a CD burner but do not know how to burn such a large file.

Yours gratefully

Fallyhag

You don't say directly if the CD burner is installed on your system. If it is, then Ghost should have an option to save the image file directly to CD. It runs outside of Windows with a disk you create. When I did it, it even let me compress the image file so that it would use fewer CD's. Justin
Feel free to email me at:
beckham@mailbox.orst.edu

I have got a CDR Burner and a copy of ghost PE 2000. Where is the option to save to disk though?

Well, when you create the boot disk I remember that it gives you a few options. One of the options is if you are going to be saving to another HD, on for if you are saving across a network, and one if you are saving to disk. However, this is just how I remember it as I have only done it once, and I may have been using the 2001 version although I can't imagine that would make much difference. Anyway, make sure you have created the boot disk that is for use with a CD-R drive. Once in the program outside of windows you select if you want to copy a disk or partition and where you want it to go. So pick which one you want to do and select your CD-R drive and you should be good to go. I also remember that the documentation that comes in PDF form when you install the program is very helpful. I would recommend you read and understand all of that. It should be in the program folder group. Good luck. Justin
Feel free to email me at:
beckham@mailbox.orst.edu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back