Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HD won't defrag!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensibilium

Programmer
Apr 6, 2000
GB
Hi,

I am problems defragging my HD, every time I run it, it checks for errors, moves the first block of data, stops and reports an error:

DEFRAG00205

I've done tons of scandisks (all thorough - system & data areas), and an error isn't found.

Please help! Ahdkaw
"What would you expect from a bunch of monkeys?"

Sounds like you may have a corrupt 'defrag.exe' file. Maybe try reinstalling it from the C.D. via SFC. Andy.

Sounds like you might have a file that is corrupted in your defragging software. maybe you should go in and check and make sure that your software is not not corrupted or virus struck. hopefully this helps. Good Luck!!

Thanks very much Comtech.

I would ask MS usually, but I can never seem to find anything in the Knowledge Base no matter how hard I try.

I think I need to spend more time there and suss it out. Ahdkaw

Here is the easiest and best way to defrag. When you defrag NOTHING is supposed to be runnibg in the background. Not even a screansaver or do not even touch the mouse and keyboard when system is defragging. So.....Boot into SAFE-MODE and defrag in safe mode. Works great everytime. I learned this trick from Tech TV (screensavers Program) with Patrick Norton and Leo Laporte. Let us know how you make out. Have a good day.

Try booting into safemode and running defrag from there. It usually encounters fewer problems and does a better job. Sorry, missed the last post.

I followed the instruction Comtech kindly linked to, and it worked perfectly.

I'm fully aware that background processes should be disabled/closed, but you can generally leave the screensaver enabled as long as you're sat in front of the machine and wiggle the mouse every couple of minutes. I've done this for years now without hitch.

The solution for the DEFRAG00205 error is as follows (for those who prefer not visit M$'s over-complicated site):

Delete the contents of the Windows/Applog folder (but not the folder itself).
Restart your machine.

Defrag then works. Easy huh? Ahdkaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back