Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HD problem on a 6.4gb laptop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElChuntiROP

Instructor
Nov 30, 2001
US
I need to start my HD all over. i seem to have wrecked the thing due to some apparently destructive experimenting. its a 6.4gb laptop drive and i have a variety of OS's available that i can install, i just need to get at least 1 going and then i should be ok. i tried partitioning it (single partition with fdisk) and that seemed to work, but then i am unable to format it, i get this instead "invalid media type reading drive c. abort, retry etc...". anything i try to do on that drive give the same result. only thing i could find that was wrong was a missing volume label which i dont know how to add. any thoughts, suggestions, comments will help.

Use fdisk to ensure that your partition is correct. Can you get a directory of the C drive while running in dos mode? The volume label is unimportant, it's just a way to give a name to the partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back