Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HD or BIOS isssue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flw

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2007
I have a Gateway GT5428 from about 7 months ago. The problem is its only displaying the splash screen from the monitor (same make) and does not seem to start the post (power putton on monitor indicates no signal, No beeps or screens or sounds of the HD spinning up or being accessed.

I detached and reattached all cables inside and out along with the RAM SIMMS. It made no difference. I can get the power off by holding the power switch so some part of the bios seems to be working. It will fireup about every 10 or more attempts.

Right now, I just log off and turn the power off the monitor. I would like to avoid sending it back in and not have it for a month or so.

I have not done any upgrades in about a full week with a USB add on adapter (PCI) I put in. I did not try to pull the battery and let it really power down.

Is that my next step or just bite the bullet and call support. They would be fine if I sent it in, one less hassle in thier day.

Under warranty - yes get them to fix it, just make sure of your data. Sounds like a possible power supply problem - but may be dying mobo.

wolluf said:
Under warranty - yes get them to fix it

Agreed, although it's easier to say it than to do it. Hopefully, you have a spare PC to use during its absence. If not, pay for overnight shipping both ways and stress the importance of the repair. I'd wait until at least two weeks into the new year.

Hold their feet to the fire, you paid for their support when you bought your PC.

As for the data, I'm very particular and would never let any personal data leave my house. I would use my external drive (you do have one for backup, don't you ? [smile]) to archive all my files, backup my emails, contacts, and mail settings, then delete all the files and use a file shredder (there are many, some free) to destroy my personal data before the PC leaves my house.

Remember, they are responsible for repairing or replacing the PC (their option) so be prepared. Best of luck.

Tony

"Buy what you like, or you'll be forced to like what you buy"...me

First guess, sound like the main board. (could also be the power supply - although you say you get power, but no post or the power switch itself (old DELLs have this issue a lot)).

Try to remove everything from the mainboard (including RAM (I am assuming you have DIMMs since your computer is only 7 moths old), add-in cards, drives, etc.). See if you get any post beeps with nothing attached to the main board except for power. The BIOS should beep at you if there is no memory in the board (leave the processor in). If you get the beeps, add things back one at a time - start with one memory simm, etc. Make sure you are grounded,

You sound like you have some PC knowledge. I would call support and troubleshoot. Perhaps they would send you the parts and let you replace it (assuming you are comfortable doing that) without sending in the machine. I know that Acer and DELL will do this.

Good luck. Post back if you think we can be of futher help.

Happy New Year.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back