Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HD not detected in Bios or Dos..??

Status
Not open for further replies.

webstruck

Technical User
Jan 31, 2002
GB
Whilst putting my slave hard drive into my sons machine so that he could copy some files ...his pc crashed whilst installing a game from it..

Now, if the slave hard drive is in either pc, NEITHER hard drive (master or slave), can be detected in the bios or in dos (fdisk says..no fixed disks detected)...

.....take the problem drive out and reboot.....

and the pc detects the master and boots up into windows and runs perfectly. I have no clue?? Could this be a virus on the slave drive or is it screwed? I have data on that drive which I need so your help would be appreciated.

many thanks

You haven't said anything about operatin systems or filestore type. Can you mount problem drive on its own as master (and access it via something like win98 boot floppy?). Or can you boot with it as master one of your master disks as slave? If you can you can change boot order in bios (so boots from slave) - & retrieve data from problem drive. Hope this helps.

Probably you are connecting the drive on secondary channel on which CDROM is already present as slave.
If not so disconnect all the other drives from one channel and connect the drive and try to detect it. If it works, setup the jumpers appropriately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back