Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HD is dead. Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jungmc

Technical User
Oct 19, 2000
US
By dead I mean it's making that evil 'click click click' sound when the PC powers up. It was a single hard drive in a fairly standard PC, so I know it used to work at one time. BIOS won't recognize it now, have tried multiple boot, attached as a slave to working PC's, no dice. I've seen this before, so I'm fairly certain of the diagnosis.

My question is, are there any 'tricks' I can do to give it one last shot at life, aside from sending it off to an expensive HD Recovery company? I thought I read that freezing the HD may possible bring some limited life to it. THen again I may have been smoking some wacky weed.

Thanks!

-Greg

Freezing was used earlier to correct tracking problems and some use it now to free up the running stuff, but if it is spinning that is of no use to you.
I know it is expensive, but send it off.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back