Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hd has less capacity than it should

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangsash

Technical User
May 12, 2002
GB
i've recently formatted my hard drive and once i've reinstalled windows i notice my hd was showing 3.92gigs instead of 8.2gigs. i have try reinstalling everything again and also installed another hard drive out of my other pc ,and when started up seemed ok untill i started to alot of errors, due to conflictions. so i deciced to reformat that hard drive. but once i reinstalled windows i had the same problem with that hard drive, this one was showing 3.92gigs instead of 8.4gigs.
i would be most grateful for anybodys help thankyou....

If you did follow the FDISK rules on set up and Format then I suspect that your hard drive may have been setup originally by using a utility that would allow you to use all of the drive. As an example: I had this twenty gig hard drive that could not be set up as more than 10 gig using FDISK. But when I did the setup with the utility provided I got use of the full 20 gigs. However it is also easy to make a mistake when your repartition and format a drive. You may just need to go over it again. Make sure you use a boot disk that is the same as the operating system that you intend to install on the drive.

Mike

Just a thought. If your computer is an old Pentium the BIOS may not be able to handle hard drives over 4GB. Thus upgrading would be a good choice.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back