Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HD cable postion? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kofy

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2003
US
This may sound like a stupid question (but hey, we've all asked em) but, when you set one HD as master and another HD or CD as slave by using the jumpers, does it matter WHERE on the cable you plug the devices into? I know it sounds silly bout curious.

no, it does not matter.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Thanks ed.. I just checked the FAQ's and was coming back to post a never mind.. but thank you anyway.. here's a star sir!

ok.. now I AM stupid.. whers is the star button?

It is in the bottom left, but don't worry about it. It isn't worth a star since it is a nobrainer for me. Thanks are enough.

Ed Fair

Still Ed.. I'd have gone to me grave wondering.. instead of not being lazy and trying it out myself....Again sir. My thanks.

i have a compaq digial decpc 333sx lp and it keep telling me that i have no boot device, i can't get any farther then the setup page the one that tells you if what companys software or hard ware is installed in the computer, can you help me please?

You should probably start a new thread....from the page you just came from(the one with the 20 or so threads listed in this forum).....so issues don't get cross-wired and everyones on the same page, so to speak....and when/if you do.. include the Operating System your installing.....

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Yes, it doesn't matter where you put the drives on the cable but in my manual of my mobo (ASUS A7V8X) it is recommended to put my harddisk(UDMA133) on the grey connector and the other device on the black connector.
Probably has something to do with speed.

No, it has to do with the master/slave identification of the drives. If you use master or slave designation they can go in either position. If you use cable select the master goes on the end because plugging in in the middle forces it to slave. The slave goes to the middle connection because that is as far as the slave control line is connected.
With a master only setup you probably need to plug it in the end to reduce the noise created by signal reflection.
But a master only will work most of the time in the middle.

Ed Fair

garaldine
you see what I mean..? the recent 2 posts didn't even notice your post....and it's not their fault in any way, shape or form....I should've put your name in bold in my post the first time to avoid any confusion, which was a lack of foresight on my part....you'll find alot of info at these forums though....so hang around and ask away[bigsmile]

edfair said
But a master only will work most of the time in the middle
I trust your extensive knowledge...however, I'd like to ask...isn't it weird that this would be the case, considering the length of the cable(80 Pin preferably for noise reduction) should never be more than 18 inches long.....any longer, and there is signal degredation and timing errors....
So since the Master is always used and the slave only sometimes....doesn;t it make sense that the closer to Mobo the better.?(ie the middle connector)

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

I haven't bothered to check with a scope on those few occasions that master only failed in the center position. Just easier to switch and go. Or replace with a single or take the scissors and cut off the tail.

The problems show up most on the 40 conductor and on longer cables. Think the original specs were 24" and people found they could push it to 30". Then you divide a 30 into 10 and 20 and put the master at the 10 you have a beautiful radio antenna and all the problems that go along with them.

Part of the problem is noise. But a better part is the lack of terminators. MFM and SCSI have devides to force the average signal to what the drives use. No such is provided or designed into IDE.

Ed Fair

According to a system builder i had a discussion with recently related to this topic :
quote :If master slave is marked on the cable follow it .
If no marking, 80pin has master at end ,40 pin master in middle .

edfair
I completely understand and agree...
shoot first/ask questions later...:>)....

syar2003
if that is the case....it almost sounds...idiotic....kind of like M$ had their hand in developing that idea.? eh?..
:>)

TT4U

Notification:

I just think that we should connect the drives as the specifications say . Not wondering about if it matter or not . Data integrity on disk is of high value ,atleast for me.

I know it a little bit confusing ,why do you think i had that discussion with the guy in the first place (i've been confused for years about this ,some manuals for 40 pin connection say the opposite of others and so on)

syar2003
Thanks for your input...I've been dazed and confused awhile now....:>)....Zep anyone?

TT4U

Notification:

FYI

Most of the old 40 wire IDE connectors were not cable select so it did not matter where you connected the master and slave. Most of the new 80 wire IDE cables ARE cable select, the master must go on the end and the slave in the middle.

nato408,
only if you are using cable select. You can use M/S on a C/S capable cable and position doesn't matter.

So, basically, you're having problems with drive failures on a 40 conductor cable, you can pull the cable out and put a 80 conductor in its place without changing the drive selection.
The connectors just don't quite line up with what you need? Turn the cable around. The center connector will probably be at a different relative position and may fit.

Ed Fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back