Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hd and mo problem hipath 4000

Status
Not open for further replies.

illios

Technical User
Jul 29, 2006
TN
I have a hipath 4000
v1 which I suspect that the hd and mo no longer works despite them being active
act-dssm 1 and 6
act-dssm 1 generates a dscr error h 2B and act-dssm 6 generates no media
both disks are mounted on the same board
the system works correctly but I have no access to comwin I still get the exception message code: h*8842
my question is that can I remove the hdmo module under power without stopping the system and without stopping unixware after deactivating both disks
I have not a backup copy and I am afraid that if I do a rebboot the system will no longer start
thinks

Is this the CPCI hardware or the Atlantic hardware?

You can replug the disc plate and it should recover, switching unit will stay up, ADP probably will too, but I'm not sure it will help. Of course it's not recommended to do that hot but if it's not responding anyway, I'd try it. You could run dea-dssm:A1,1; first.

Could also try cha-dssm:a1,1; then act-dssm:a1,1; before that, to try and bring it in service. What does dis-ddsm:a1; show? If it's blocked by dependability you need the cha-dssm to set it back to blocked by AMO.

If it's UV1 this hardware will now be about 25 years old so some form of HW failure is not impossible but it puts you in a difficult spot. You could do with some donor hardware (ebay) to help you make tests.

There was also an application (PC-Hi) which could help in situations like this as it could extract the running OS and also just the DB from the HD, and save it to laptop, but if the HD is dead, won't help. PC-Hi also worked to portable SCSI drives but you needed adaptec card, MO drive etc. Hard to get in 2024.

If you're really lucky a replug of ADP and HDMO card could resolve it, but it's a hell of a gamble on this old kit. RESTART; would soft restart the ADP but it might make it worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back