Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HCFPCIMODEM Redhat 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwhip

Technical User
Apr 29, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have loaded the HCFPCImodem driver for my kernel version of redhat and installed the driver using HCFPCICONFIG. It is now accessable through /dev/modem. Now it dials OK but when the carrier signal starts it keeps on making the screeching noise indefinitely without establishiong a connection until the PC is rebooted . The modem works fine when booted through windows 2000. Has anyone else experienced this and do you know of a service or a command I can use to stop the noise without rebooting? I was thinking of maybe using the driver for an earlier kernel version but should ask you guys first.
Any ideas?

Damian

I'm not sure I know what you mean. Is it actually establishing the connection, just not turning off the modem speaker? If that's the case, I'd start looking for another driver set to load in there. Course my experience with Redhat ended after I got frustrated with an install a few years back. ;)

If you can find where 'Nix stores the initialization string for the modem, add M0L0 (M zero L zero) to it.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

WinModems are highly suspect under Linux. has the most up-to-date information that I know of about which WinModems are supported under which version (kernel) of Linux. Generally, this includes links to the latest driver available for your product and an email address for someone who has already made it work.

I have contributed to the list, and received help off of it. I think that it will be your best resource.

pansophic

Cheers for all the feedback,

Comtech I will try that later. What does that command actually do?
I know that these winmodems are a real pain under Linux. I did have it working perfectly using Mandrake 9 but decided to move over to Redhat because it seems to have more documentation.
I can see myself just buying an external modem soon. It just seems a shame when I know the old one works.
I will let you know if that works.

Damian

Do you know what kernel you were running under Mandrake and now under Redhat?

Are you compiling the driver on your system, or are you using an RPM? If you are compiling, there may be some options that you need to set in order to get the driver to compile correctly under Redhat (vs. Mandrake).

The commands that Comtech gave you tell the modem to only use the speaker until it negotiates a connection (M0) and set the sound level at 0 (L0) or off.

It was unclear to me whether you were actually establishing a connection or not. If the connection is being established, but the sound stays on, then those two commands should work. If you are never establishing a connection at all, they won't help at all.

pansophic

"M" determines if the sound is ON or OFF.
M0=off, M1=on until ack, M2=on until carrier, M3=on always.
"L" determines volume.
L0=off, L1=quiet, L2=loud, L3=screaming

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

I don't think it was establishing a connection through KPPP. Although if I open a terminal and typed in ATDT followed by the phone number then I recieved a connect statement. Unfortunately this way there seems to be no way of authenticating with the server. Do you know of a way to send login credentials using this method?
I have just reinstalled RedHat now. I am using a different RPM driver from the Mandrake one which I downloaded from Linuxant. The Kernel version is 2-4-20.8.

Damian

I knew I could do it! It now works! After reloading Linux for the 4th time and setting the machine to be in USA rather than UK it finally will connect. Good job I have so much time to spare.
Any ideas on authenticating through the terminal? I would be very interested in seeing behind the scenes of PAP/CHAP.

Damian

You can't authenticate using PAP/CHAP through the terminal per se. You need to take a look at the old PPP-HOWTO. There were detailed instructions on how to use minicom to dial the connection, and then start the pppd to authenticate and establish a PPP connection.

Try this:

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back