Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HBAs microcode upgrade on VIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ogniemi

Technical User
Nov 7, 2003
PL

I would not prefere to upgrade the microcode with i/o on the adapter although it is written in the docu as possible (but risky)) therefore I'd like to ask if doing squential update of each HBA first disabling/removing paths going through a adapter (e.g. rmpath....) will guarantee safe upgrade? What in case of dual FC adapters? Does the upgrade of one "fcs" device affects microcode upgrade of the second on the card as well?

Any other ideas/proposals?

ps. this is dual-vio configuration.

If you have dual VIOS setup with multiple paths from the VIO clients going via both your VIOSs and in each VIOS you have multiple paths going down two FC adapters, then I don't see what could possibly go wrong (that your VIO clients wouldn't survive).

Just make sure for each of your VIO clients' virtual disks, two paths exist, are available and for each disk, the attribute hcheck_interval is set to non-zero (typically [tt]chdev -l hdiskXX -a hcheck_interval=60 -P[/tt]). If you need to change this, the VGs need to be varied off and on, for rootvg_disks, this means rebooting the VIO client after chdev'ing the disks.

If you don't have that hcheck_interval, you can still go on with your intervention, but you'd need to manually reinstate every path that has failed on each VIO client...

HTH,

p5wizard

confirmed. all went fine.
the seq for 2 adapters on one VIOS was:

rmpath -p fscsi0
diag -d fcs0 -T download
mkpath -p fscsi0
rmpath -p fscsi1
diag -d fcs1 -T download
mkpath -p fscsi1

Status
Not open for further replies.