Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HBA management software

Status
Not open for further replies.

estech25

Technical User
Jan 26, 2005
IR
I have a Fiber Channel DAS (Direct-Attached Storage) that I plan to connect to a server using a QLogic HBA. Since I have no special SAN requirements and plan to use the storage locally, I am wondering if I need to install any management softwares that come with the HBA. Is the HBA driver enough to make it all work? I guess the management softwares are more for various SAN requirements such as zoning, monitoring, etc.... Please tell me if the driver is simply enough for my very simple purpose

yes, in order to see the LUNs you just need the driver. Management software is only a plus.

Cheers.

The Qlogic Management Suite is so you will be able to configure your HBA via a GUI and while the host is up. Without the Management Suite you will have to reboot the server and go through the BIOS to do any configuration changes.

The Management Suite does not allow you to do zoning, it will only allow you to configure the HBA attributes and do persistent binding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back