Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having Windows XP and Linux on the same PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarleneD

Technical User
Jul 4, 2003
CA
Hi:

My Notebook came with WinXP - is it possible for me to have Linux running as well?

I heard from a friend that I can run Linux within Windows XP so I would not have to particion the drive. Is this possible and how can I do this?

Thanks,

Marlene

If it's possible to run Linux from within Windows XP, I'd love to hear how your friend did it. And I can see no good reason to do it, even if it's possible.

There is software that will run Linux and Win32 simultaneously in separated virtual machines. VMWare is one example.

But even with VMWare, you're going to need some space to load the Linux software. And Linux runs best with its own filesystems.

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions: TANSTAAFL!!

Without running a virtual machine, you have to resize your partition and make some free space for Linux. Software such as Partition Magic, Partition Manager and Partition Commander can help you resize your partition.

Like sleipnir214 said, Linux will run optimally with it's own filesystems. Furthermore, your performance running Linux as a virtual machine will not be as good as running it on its's own partition. There is also the issue of sharing system the RAM.

First shrink your hard drive with the partitioning tools mentioned above.
Look for information about how to setup to DUAL BOOT.
Install linux
Enjoy

"Surfinbox Shares" - A fundraising program that builds revenue from dialup Internet users.

I guess you've noticed that not too many agree with your friend. :) There are programs such as Lindows that are supposed to give you the "look and feel" of linux but that's about it. They still run under windows and do everything just like windows. They can't even run true linux software. If you want to play and learn with a real linux system, dual booting is the only way to go which means resizing your current partition.

Your friend is 100% correct. Take a look at Topologilinux. It will run under Windows XP, without partitioning. It creates a couple (or more) NTFS files that it formats for use by Linux when you boot from the CD. It is a Slackware derivative I believe.

Given my druthers, I'd rather run Knoppix over the Topologilinux. It is a bootable CD version of Linux that runs in a RAM-Disk. I think that it was Debian based, but runs extremely well with 0 installation. I've used it to recover some Windows machines and to get a familiar environment on someone else's computer.

Of course I run RedHat and Suse on my own machines.

pansophic

Hello
Yes Knoppix, Morpheus and other Live CD Linux OS's do indeed r0x and give you a chance to discover at least a good sized glimpse of the power that is linux. However it is highly doubtful that your CD is as fast as your hard drives so naturally some stuff is gonna be slower, and you can't really install 3D-Accellerated video drivers to a ramdisk or CD ( IIRC ) so you can't try new games, which run fantastically well in Linux. If you don't already own Partition Magic which makes resizing NTFS partitions easy, consider buying Xandros Linux which is a debain based distro that is capable of safely resizing NTFS easily, and is a stone breeze for windows peeps to get a handle on right away. The version that doesn't have all the M$ Office stuff from Codeweavers is like $35 US and a new one is due out around New Years that's sposd to be even better than the one that's already IMHO the easiest migration for doze peeps around. Support is killer and you can check it out on the web... just google for Xandros. BTW it used to be Corel until M$ got scared of it and bought controlling shares but too late since the heads sold off their Linux before M$ got in heheheh.

Jimmy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back