Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

having trouble with percentages on MS Project 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 23, 2014
GB
Please help!
I am doing a mobilisation of a contract and have groups of tasks and sub groups. I can't seem to get the percentages to roll up to the sub groups or main groups correctly.

for example:-- this is what I am seeing, surely it should be 66%?

Sub Group - 28%
Task 1 - 100%
Task 2 - 100%
Task 3 - 0%

or
sub group - 99%
Task 4 - 100%
Task 5 - 100%
Task 6 - 100%

I need the sub groups not to look at dates or working days, but the work physically completed where I manuall enter for each task on a weekly/daily basis.

This is causing me issues in reporting how complete we are in the project.

Any ideas whats wrong?

Urgent help much appreciated.

Charlie

Hi,

I'd wager that 28% is correct, as Project is most likely calculating the total effort (man hours) for the Sub Group and the remains house for Task 3 and getting 28%. Task 3 must be a lesser effort than the average of the other 2.

Check your tasks as to whether they are Fixed Work, Fixed Units, or Fixed Duration. Also verify the check box "Effort Driven". These will drive your percentages.

==================================
adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster than agile big data clouds)

A couple of points: % complete is a duration measurement - it is most certainly based on dates. % Work Complete is based upon work values - not duration values.

The % complete of the summary task is based upon the overall duration of the subtasks and their percent complete. In the second scenario - having a milestone that is not marked 100% complete will result in the summary task "stuck" at 99%.

You CAN use physical percent complete to record your more subjective % complete values. See: for details on using physical % complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back