Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having trouble trying to locate the .sql file in old copied mysql folder ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0deM0nK424

Programmer
Oct 28, 2007
GB
Here is the situation.

I have installed Wamp on my primary drive c: , where the OS is installed on as well as all programs. I have a 8 year old drive installed (slave) , drive D: - which is where i save junk and files. I copied an old 'mysql' folder from an old Xamp or Wamp folder few years ago, as i was backing up my files in the hope I would one day use them again.

basically I copiedthe entire contents of the mysql folder which resided in wamp/ , onto drive D:

I am now running a newer version of wamp i would imagine, and want to IMPORT across that database.

my current version of mysql is mysql5.6.12 installed on my c:/wamp/ location, and the version of mysql saved on Drive D: is mysql5.5.24

i copied and pasted the database folder from the old mysql folder , into the new one and ran phpmy admin and saw the database appear.

when i clicked on the tables - it kept saying no tables found.

So i googled up how to import databases on mysql and all are saying 'find the sql file...'

well thats the problem.

Inside my old database folder named 'skillsprofilingtool' , i see the following files:

consultants.frm
consultanttype.frm
db.opt
skills.frm
skilltype.frm

but these are tables surely ? clicking on import and then trying to import the actual folder wont work - it needs a file.

Whats happening or has happened here ?

where IS this sql file then ???

i need to know the fastest and most efficient way to simply transfer across this database onto my current new installation of mysql please folks.

any help would be appreciated.

a sql file is the normal extension (although wholly optional) for a sql DUMP file. i.e. the output from a mysqldump command.

what you have done is copy the entire set of files that make up a single database. In this case, it looks like a myisam database/table.

if you are lucky, the database engine structure will not have changed between versions, or will be upgradable. so the first thing to try is simply copying the files from your backup directory into whatever is the next DATA directory for your current mysql installation. do this whilst the mysql server is OFF. then turn it back on once the copy has completed. the requisite files are .frm, .myd and .myi. you may well need to rebuild the database indices after. typically this simple copying works for mysql > 3.23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back