Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

having trouble setting up RAID5 on poweredge 2400

Status
Not open for further replies.

ITbill2

IS-IT--Management
Sep 5, 2005
GB
(sighs)

i finally gave up installing w2k for the 10th time...

now i need help...

question:

can i setup a raid5 so that it appears as drive C or do i have to install windaz onto "C", then setup logical volume "E" or something, that i can THEN install my s/w on?

i've done this at home ok, with a rocketraid404 on my home pc, but boogerd if i can git this dayam 2400 to have just a raid 5 volume...as C...if thats at all possible...?

i remember during w2k install, i get the press F6 for extra drivers, but i looked on the dell cd's and can't seem to find a suitably named .inf file that i could point the setup to...

i'm only 3 weeks into a new job, and this is making me look kinda silly...so i need to get this done...:\

ok, so i erase/reformat unit0
stick in the dell "server assistant" cd, which STATES that it has "automated raid configuration", even though it doesn't...then i put in the "systems management" cd and that installs some stuff...still don't help...

i even tried going back to the sp2 cd that came with the server, to see if that was "more compatible" with this system than the subseuquent sp4 cd...nope.

so, sorry for the long post, but essentially, can i setup my raid5 as drive C?

(seems a bit dum to setup a raid and not have your system files on it??)

cheers,
bill

Bill,

I am having the same problem. Were you able to set up RAID5 on your C drive?

Firstly what type of PERC controller are you using?
Secondly, how many drives do you have for your RAID 5 container?

Barhampa may be on to something here, you must have at least 3 drives to setup RAID 5. You can do this, I have single RAID 5 virtual disks setup on various PERC controllers.

Bear in mind that RAID has absolutely nothing to do with drive letters. RAID creates a virtual disk which you then treat like a single disk and use the normal OS ustilities (fdisk, format) to prepare. RAID is not setup on your C drive, your C drive is setup on RAID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back