Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having trouble setting up my VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

grazzhoppa

Technical User
Apr 25, 2012
CA
Hi,

I'm having some trouble setting up my VPN correctly. I am running Windows 7 Professional on all of my computers. I have set up my VPN network, but it isn't allowing me to access my desktop and use the software on the VPN server. It is only allowing me to access public files. I have followed a number of different processes to try and correct this, and have tried setting it up on multiple computers, but no luck so far. My goal is for multiple people to be able to log into the server and use Microsoft Outlook. If someone can help, it would be great! Thanks.

If you can access anything (even public files) remotely, then the VPN tunnel is established and your problem is likely to be somewhere else.

A lot more info about the setup would be needed to get pointed in the right direction.

This is just a Wild Guess but it sounds to me like you have not set up RRAS to alow outside users to share the files. By default, Windows 7 will only allow sharing to the Public folder area. Even Intuit doesn’t try to fight this, they just install to Public to start with on Multi User Versions.

But it can be done if you want to take the time. It also depends on whether you want to limit access to be folder specific to each user or “ all users see all folders.”

And the final "gotcha" is what you might have for an AV program. Some are worse than others but most of them will cause problems of some kind unless you allow for the proper pass-through. Even Windows Firewall, Microsoft Security Essentials, User Account Control and others.

But it can certainly be done as I have mine setup that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back