Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having trouble getting work, have 5K for cert, but which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kxramse

Programmer
Jul 28, 2006
US
Hey everyone,

I have a story I'd like to share with the aim of getting some career/certification advice. I'd appreciate as much input as any one is willing to give.

I got my CIS degree in 1995 from a State University Business school. I worked as a COBOL programmer for 3 years (1 company), then as a Systems Analyst for 4 years (2 companies) where my programming was minimal, I was watching over vendor applications, writing reports, sometimes an interface or two, etc.

Then I did something that might not make sense to everyone, but its here nor there. At this point in my career, 2001, I was making 70K. I went to Seminary for 3 years and earned a personal enrichment degree. Ok... So, I tried to get back into IT, and I had to take a HUGE pay cut, down to 42K in January of 2004, and was basically a Systems Analyst again but it was entry level, watching over a vendor application, writing reports in SQL/Crystal and creating some very basic ASP.NET/VB.NET, Javascript forms to do some basic HTML e-mail data entry stuff. Not very advanced, I taught myself and I'd never pass an interview with what I learned about .NET.

I decided to leave that job last Summer, and I got a big pay raise to get a Crystal Reports developer role at 68K. Something wierd happened soon afterwards, I had been offered another contract (to hire) around the same time, but I didn't think it was right to leave the contract I just got. Anyway, 9 weeks later that company that wanted me to go contract to hire with them came back to me and wanted me full time permanent.

So, after only 3 months on the contract, I took them up on the offer 68K full time as a Systems Analyst. In all honesty, it was more like a developer who did systems analysis from what I can tell now. So, I start this job and three months in, they tell me my developer skills aren't sharp enough and they let me go.

Why I'm here today is that I have been looking for work for 2 months. I've refused Reporting Analyst CONTRACTS because my wife would like me to have something more stable and recruiters seem very unwilling to give me a Systems Analyst nor a Business Analyst job. Its funny, the recruiters say I'm too technical for the Business Analyst role (and haven't served in it) and I don't know UML or Use Cases and not technical enough for the Systems Analyst role cause I don't know C# or VB.NET well enough to put it on a Resume. So basically I'm only getting offered Data/Reporing Analyst interviews and those aren't very frequent. I don't feel like they are the best career route, and they aren't the most exciting to me, although I might just have to take one depending on how my money lasts.

Anyway... Tonight my brother offered something amazing. I rambled about how I could probably get a certification for $5OOO or so and get a job within a month or so if I had the money and out of the blue he did something I TRULY never expected, he demanded that I take his money and do it! He's got the money to spare, although I never even considered that he would offer it and I think I'll take him up on his offer assuming I can do something with it.

So... If I had to dream something up, I'd love a job where I was in a corner doing something technical and playing all day long like a geek, but certainly no more vendor software package management where my technical skills aren't going to get developed and kept marketable. I want to be a developer again. Everywhere I look I see .NET, C#, some VB.NET or XML and of course Java.

But which direction should I go? What certifications would be best for me? A Microsoft one like MCPD or MCTS? C# windows or web, how would one choose without knowing the job you'd get? Should I try something in Java? Which track is right? How will I know if a company will take a shot with me not having much experience in whatever I get certified in? The only MCTS track I could get certified in that I have experience in is SQL 2005, but I have never been a DBA and a reporting analyst doesn't sound like the best career option, although I don't mind it and enjoy playing with TSQL.

Next: Who has the best training out there? (I think what I'd like to do is spend 1 month studying like a madman in a class and take some tests and then BAMM, get job interviews and be employed by mid May to the end of June.)

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? I'll provide a resume to someone if they think it will help them answer my question.

Thanks!

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back