Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having trouble drawing over live trace!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PushingForward

Technical User
Dec 7, 2009
US
please forgive because I am extremely new to illustrator

I have my image run through live trace, but when I go to use the paint brush over it, the indicator on the cursor will not allow me to do so. do I need to expand it or what? I dont know where I'm going wrong! any suggestions?

...when using live trace and needing to edit the traced result, you need to either:

1. expand the trace by having the trace selected and pressing the "expand" button on the top tool bar.

2. to fill in areas of color you'll be best to use the "live paint bucket" found in the tools palette. Select that tool and click on the trace, changing the trace settings will no longer be allowed, so you may want to live paint a copy so you can revert back. Pick a color and fill in areas.

...once your happy with the live paint, you can expand it further to perform more edits by pressing the "expand" button on the top toolbar, or choosing:

object > live paint > expand

...you can always make the trace a "live paint group" by simply using the "live paint bucket" again if needed later...

andrew

============
============

but is there no way to directly draw over the live trace with the brush tool?

...yes, you have to create a new layer in the layers palette, draw on that one instead...

andrew

============
============

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back