Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having some issues with VPN clients on our ISP network. Need solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyvirgo

Technical User
Dec 12, 2010
Hi All,

I am not sure if this is the right forum, but I have a questions about VPN connections using a special router and modem configuration. Hope you could help me or atleast point me to the right people for this.

I know my way around a computer but I am not network savy.

At my workplace we need to be connected 24x7 to a VPN to our mother company in Germany.

We receive emails through the VPN via an IMAP as the server is in Germany (mail server and data server are same). We also have remote desktop acces for ERP applications as our financial system is integrated with Germany.

Also we have some mobile users who connect from home using VPN also. So in effect we have two VPNs.

We have a basic DSL dryloop line from Acanac. We have a fixed IP.

We bought a router which we have configured in bridge mode and have it connected to a router/firewall provided to us by Germany.

The modem is a Thomson ST516.

The router is a Collax ROHS IP10 made by EXUS Data GmbH. It is supposedly setup to allow multiple VPN pass through.

Ever since the connection has been setup by our external IT team there have been intermittent problems. Recently we have had more issues than before.

Every so often the VPN connection is lost due to poor bandwidth at ISP.

Previosuly we had a Dynamic IP and hoped the static IP would correct that but it did not.

When the VPN connection is lost we do not have access to emails or the ERp system.

Reconnection requires manual restarting of modem and sometimes router to ensure proper connection.

Any help to automate reconnection and troubleshoot data loss would be great.

Regards

Asquare

We are using windows 7 64bit machines and Macs for client machines.

On the server end we are using Microsoft Server 2003 standard edition.

The Collax Router/Firewall is supposedly linux compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back