Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having problems printing using Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2003
US
I am using a Win2000 machine to connect to a remote Windows XP Pro machine using Remote Desktop. I would like to print to the local printer on my Win2000 machine. Here is the twist. The Remote Desktop session displays my local printer, but when I initially connect to the WinXP machine and I try to print, I get an error message saying,
"The Document failed to print" and the document just sits there in the print queue. But when I log off from my RD session and log back on again and try to print, it prints just fine to the printer. Then I am able to print fine all day no matter how many times I log off and back on from the RD session. It is just that initial time I connect using RD that I cannot print to the printer. I guess logging off and back on re-establishes the connection to the local printer? Maybe it has to do with when I boot up my local machine and try to connect initially?
Anyone has any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!

Examine under the Properties sheet of the printer the PORT type used, both local and on the RD session.

Remote Desktop printer redirection is actually PORT redirection. This differs from how redirection is done in a Workgroup or network setting.

The issue is likely one of hardware, port monitor misconfiguration, or port type misconfiguration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back