Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having problems:Network Printing with Windows2000 and HP printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunited

IS-IT--Management
Jun 29, 2001
US
Recently a portion of our company switched from Windows NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 Professional and the network printing problems started. We are using HP printers. Most of the errors occur when we try to print a document with some type of formatting, ie. checks, excel spreadsheets. I tried to make one of the printers a local printer through a jet direct port, and that fixed the problem on one of the applications, but then I tried printing to a network printer, a completely different printer than the one that I had installed as local, and the local printer messed up the printing on the network printer. I know that the local printer caused the problem because when I deleted the printer from the workstation, the document printed correctly to the network printer. I have been to Microsoft's website and HP's website and I can not find anything. I find it hard to believe that I am the only one out there haveing these problems. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I can't roll out W2K Professional to the rest of the company until I can figure this out.
Thanks

Just to lend a little support to sunited, I also am having printing problems with Win 2000. I Have not been able to find anything useful at Microsoft, Novell, or HP. I have a Netware 4.11 network that is basically trouble free and healthy. We recently added some win2000 Pro workstations and after a few weeks I have had problems with MS Word being able to print Mail merge documents to HP 4000 Network printer. The same document prints just fine from other win 98 machines. I have a user with a frustration level high enough to wipe it clean and install win 98 to remedy this one. Other documents print just fine. These two documents will not print from any of the win2000 units but will print from any of the Win98 units. When the document is printed in Win2000 a message appears above the task bar saying that windows is preparing to Backbround print the document. It just hangs there and word stops responding. I have to 'end task' and start over. Any help would be appreciated. I have already completely reinstalled Win2000, Office97sr2.
Utahmann

Printing in Win2k is a pain when you are printing to a network. The best way to handle it is by setting up a local printer and redirecting it to the IP address of the JetDirect box. Here are a couple of things to consider when setting up printing in Win2k:

Hope that this helps!

Thanks,
I will try a few of the suggestions that I found in the articles. I sure hope something works!! Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back