Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

having problems changing domain in xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

johndog

Technical User
Apr 17, 2001
US
For some reason, the buttons "network ID" and "change..." under the computer name properties are greyed out. The computer reports that the network is not set up correctly, but the strange thing is that it is joined to a domain already and has been working. I cannot connect to any of the servers on the network even though the IP address I have is valid. I checked the services that were on and they looked ok. Maybe I need to have another service turned on. Any reason why the buttons are greyed out, and how can I get them to work?

So you're a member of the domain - but can't access any domain resources on the network? Have you run ipconfig /all from command prompt? Can you ping other machines? Checked device manager (network adapter). Network properties? Event viewer?

I can ping all servers and computers on the local network, but can't ping outside. The internet does work though, which is quite odd considering that I can't ping outside servers. I've run ipconfig /all and have a valid IP address and all of the DNS servers appear. There are 3 different adapters on the machine, one for wireless, an integrated port, and a port on the port replicator of the laptop. I am still unable to access any of the servers on the network by using the \\server command, although I can ping them. Then network adapter works fine because I tried using the integrated adapter as well as the port replicator's. I don't believe that the system even log showed any errors.

You will need to be local administrator to make the changes.

A few things to try that may narrow your focus.

Try to access a share using IP address, eg \\192.168.1.xxx or whatever. That will tell you if it is a name resolution issue.

Can you ping to your DNS servers? Can you query them?
Start-run - - cmd - - nslookup google.com
See what you get - resolves to IP address, then DNS isn't an issue. If not, enter DNS manually and disable/enable network connection and try again.

A final thought - I've had weird throughput issues with an ethernet cable that was making intermittent contact - swap out your cable.

HTH

Have you tried logging in locally and seeing how the tabs look there?

MCSE, A+

Change your DNS entries to point to the Server, particularly the DNS server of your intranet. As long as your DNS entries are pointing at your ISPs external DNS servers you are not going to reach your intranet servers.

Well, I finally solved the problem. It was due to the fact that the Client for Microsoft Networks service was not installed under the Network properties. Also, the registry keys for RPCL and the Client for MS Networks key was incorrect, it had to be changed to 'auto' in the registry. Thanks for all of your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back