Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having difficulty with authentication (web.config)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2000
US
Hi!

I'm new to ASP.NET. So far, I haven't had much difficulty grasping the concepts.

I have found several tutorials on the web (and in some reference books) about authenticating users to restrict access to directories beneath the root directory of a web application. Basically, the authentication parameters are coded into a web.config file in the root directory of a web application. Specific permissions for a sub-directory are coded in either a <local> element of the root directory's web.config file, or in a separate web.config file located in the sub-directory. Seems simple enough. The black and blue marks on my forehead tell a different tale.

In my web application, I can't get this to work. I setup authentication in the root directory's web.config file as follows:

<authentication mode="Forms">
<forms name="formsauth" loginUrl="../login.aspx"
protection="Validation" timeout="60">
<credentials>
<user name="guest" password="7073A1F684ADD4174F90B3516348D0D2CADF2600"/>
</credentials>
</forms>
</authentication>

Login.aspx is the login page. I'm confident that the authentication is working, because I don't receive an error on the login page when I enter the correct user name and password. When I enter an incorrect user name or password, I am rewarded with a message telling me so. Sounds right, yes?

Now, in the subdirectory's web.config file, I have entered the following authorization parameters:

<authorization>
<allow users="guest" />
<deny users="?" />
</authorization>

This is working, but it's working far too well. the "<deny users="?" />" parameter is supposed to prevent any users that are not authenticated from entering the subdirectory. Great. Unfortunately, I cannot enter this subdirectory even after I have authenticated as user "guest". I keep getting kicked back to the login page. For s***s and giggles, I tried entering the authorization information in a <location> element in the root web.config file. This worked exactly the same way.

Per most of the tutorials, I used the following vb.net code for the login page (login.aspx.vb):

Sub cbOK_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles cbOK.Click
If (FormsAuthentication.Authenticate(tbUserName.Text, tbPassword.Text)) Then
FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage(tbUserName.Text, True)
Else
lbIncorrect.Visible = True
End If
End Sub

What am I missing here? I am authenticating successfully. The authorization parameters appear to be working. It's as though the proof of authentication isn't making it to the subdirectory level. What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

- Mikeymac

Check out the Microsoft Line on web.config security

You can use the <location> tag to apply authorization settings to an individual file or directory. The following example shows how you can apply authorization to a specific file (Page.aspx).
Code:
<location path="page.aspx" />
  <authorization>
    <allow users="DomainName\Bob, DomainName\Mary" />
    <deny users="*" />
  </authorization>
</location>

hope this helps
:D

George Oakes
Check out this awsome .Net Resource!

Status