Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having difficulties to install firefox on Solaris 8 (sparc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyan01

Programmer
Mar 13, 2002
US
Hi, Experts,

I am having trouble in installation of firefox 1.0.4 on solaris 8 (ultra sparc 5). I have installed all the patches recommended. After I ran firefox, I got following error message:

Code:
ld.so.1: ./firefox-bin: fatal: libgtk-1.2.so.0: open failed: No such file or directory
ld.so.1: ./firefox-bin: fatal: libgdk-1.2.so.0: open failed: No such file or directory
ld.so.1: ./firefox-bin: fatal: libgmodule-1.2.so.0: open failed: No such file or directory
ld.so.1: ./firefox-bin: fatal: libglib-1.2.so.0: open failed: No such file or directory
Segmentation Fault - core dumped

Can someone teach me how to solve this? Thanks!

p.s. the actual file name I downloaded is: firefox1.0.4-sparc-sun-solaris2.8.tar.bz2

Cyan01,
First check to see if these libraries are actually on your workstation. If they are, Solaris uses 2 different environment variables to find libraries. Put the path to the libraries in environment PATH and also LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

Thank you, bfitzmai.

I did check those files and found they are not on my workstation. For example, one comand I used was:

Code:
 sable 7 => tar tvf firefox1.0.4-sparc-sun-solaris2.8.tar | grep libgtk
-rwxr-xr-x   0/0   157020 May 12 08:30 2005 firefox/libgtkembedmoz.so
-rwxr-xr-x   0/0    22208 May 12 08:30 2005 firefox/libgtksuperwin.so
-rwxr-xr-x   0/0    15012 May 12 08:30 2005 firefox/libgtkxtbin.so

In addition, I also tried using "find / -name XXXX". No luck. How could this happen? I can hardly understand why these files are not included in the original tar file.

Any thoughts?

According to the README, you are going to need the GTK libraries... You can download them from The README states not to use version 1.2. There is a version 2.2.4 available. The readme states the libraries should be placed in /usr/local/lib. Never installed FireFox... What I would try to do is install the gtk libraries and see if Firefox runs.

I take that back... By your first post, Foxfire is looking for version 1.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back