Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having an issue where client backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almow

Technical User
Jan 3, 2002
US
Having an issue where client backups are hanging on W2K clients. save even hangs from the command line. After the client is rebooted backups are successful for a variable amount of time before a hang occurs again. Running v6.0.2.

Any ideas?

Almo [bull]

Are you getting an error message? What does it say in your daemon.log file? I would first suspect a network issue.
Can you give more info? Do you have unix clients that are working fine?

yeah 1st guess is network....are client and server both on FastFD (100mb full)

My suggestion would be a possible bug in the networker. At least in 6.1.2 it starts opening files - and forgets to close them. So depending on the number of files you backup it occurs earlier or later.

Try upgrading to 6.0.3 or 6.2 and try if it works better. 6.2 clients should work with a 6.0 server.

Hope it helps

Johanes

Hi,

the best would be to update to a newer version of NetWorker.
What is your Networker server? HP-UX or W2k...
Sometimes there are network problems, NetWorker keeps some tcp connections open and in the case of an error it forgets to close them.
So also check for open tcp connections.

Good luck!

Elif

Please provide more detial.
1. what type of server.
2. what type of networker client.
Network configuration and other parameters, jukebox falure issues, etc.
Best upgrade to 6.1.2 which has several bug fixes.
Since the backup starts and then hangs, i suspect, Network bandwith issues, cleint TCP overload, watch the performance form task manager and record evenlog on the client and server.

What is the O/S, there are known issues with RPC in windoze NT.

Backup server and client are W2K - SP2. Servers are on an isolated backup network with Gig NIC in backup server and 100 full NIC in the client.

All other applications on the client are not experiencing any issues.

Almo

Me too getting
chiips-hypctx09:All rcmd chiips-hypctx09, user root: `savefs -s chi-backup -c chiips-hypctx09 -g skolnik -p -l full -R -v'
* chiips-hypctx09:All nsrexec: authtype nsrexec
* chiips-hypctx09:All savefs: RPC error: Unable to receive
* chiips-hypctx09:All savefs: cannot retrieve client resources
savefs chiips-hypctx09: failed

HELP

Have you made any upgrade to legato? try to uninstall the client(delete the old directory or rename it), install it again, make a backup of c:\test folder then try to recover the file.

nsrexec: authtype nsrexec

My issue was a reverse DNS issue..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back