Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having a problem with columns

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwolfe

MIS
Jan 12, 2000
US
I'm using Illustrator CS. I have text in three columns. I'm trying to shorten only the first column and force the excess text to flow into the second and third column. According to the book that I'm using, I should be able to accomplish this by using the Direct Selection tool and shift-clicking and dragging the border of the first column upwards. It's not working. Can someone tell me, in steps, what it is that I need to do. Thanks.

...sounds to me like this can only be achieved when you have three seperate text areas that are linked together. Using the link or threading action, white boxes bottom left and top right of text areas. Then with the black tool pull the handle up of the first text area and the text will flow to fill the other two text areas...

...what you are trying to achieve, if using a text area with 3 defined columns, as far as I have tried, is not possible...

andrew

My suggestion is to use InDesign. What you are trying to do is not one of Illustrator's strengths. A page layout program will achieve this much better.

I'm working on Lesson #7 from the book, "Adobe Illustrator 10, Classroom in a Book." I thought that the problem had to do with the differences between Illustrator CS and Illustrator 10, and I was working on a PC running XP. But I tried the same lesson on a friend's Mac (OS X) that had Illustrator 10 installed. I still couldn't do it. This is the only thing in the book that I've had a problem with so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back