Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Having a mare installing Project 2003 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

arturner

MIS
Sep 24, 2002
GB
Hi all,

I want to install Project 2003 server onto a machine with Windows 2000 server SP4 installed, I have already installed SQL 2000 Server, SQL SP3, SQL analysis services and SQL Analysis Services SP3

It is now in a state to install Project 2003 onto the server, but I understand that firstly I need to install Sharepoint Services onto the server before Project server, I cannot for the life of me find a copy of Sharepoint services that is not for Windows 2003 server!! It's driving me mad, can anyone point me in the right direction for a copy for Windows 2000 server??

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Hi Andy:

You are out of luck, unfortunately. Windows SharePoint Services only runs under Windows Server 2003. The following link explains the various requirements for Project Server.

Sorry.

Bruce.

If you are having trouble installing Project Server (it's actually very easy) I feel for your company when you start implementing it (planning should take about 2-3 months as you determine roles, responsibilities, security issues, various coding standards, migrating plans, training staff, doing a proof-of-concept, piloting and roll-out).

Well start feeling sorry for me, it's got to be in in a weeks time.

P.S. All installed OK, dropped back to Project 2002 Server

I do, indeed, feel sorry for you.

Part of the distribution package (or was it on the MS website ... it's been so long since I last did a P2003Enterprise install) is a variety of documents including a project plan for P2003 deployment. I haven't got the DVD handy or I'd search for you.

In a moment of rashness I printed out the Admin guide, Installation guide, both Configuration guides and the Disaster recovery guide. Two large volumes of paper!

Hunt around on the DVD for the .mpp files (or, as I said, maybe they're on the MS website). They should help you in supporting any statements you make about the length of time and amount of pre-rollout preparation that is needed.

Hi mate,

Not too worried at the minute, there's only going to be about 10 users initially and as part of our Prince2 methodology rollout.
Plus we have some consultants coming in to give me a hand.

We haven't got a DVD?

I bought Gary Chefetz's book on 2002 server which is quite good.

Gary's book is very good resource (mine is well-thumbed, underlined and highlighted).

If you haven't got the DVD (actually, now that I think about it, it's on a CD) how did you install it? Anyway, search the disc for the .CHM files. There are a couple that describe exactly how to do the install on a step-by-step basis and there are some sample files (.mpp or is it .mpt?) that may be of assistance to you. (Note to myself: do the same thing for a documentation cross-reference!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back